Printed circuit boards are versatile components used across numerous industries and electrical devices. Did you know that PCB copper thickness can be a crucial factor in designing the perfect board for your needs?
Copper plays an integral role in PCB conductivity, and that is why you need to choose optimal thickness for your application. Take a look at our guide and get to know different weights available, but that is not where we will stop. We will also teach you how to place an order from a reliable manufacturer. So don’t hesitate and start reading now!
1、What You Need to Know About Copper Weight
Before we can discuss copper weight, it is essential to learn a thing or two about this material. Copper is a chemical element that belongs to the category of metal. In the construction of PCBs, copper is used as an alloy.
That is what enables it to be a great conductor, and it is why it is used in devices manufactured across various industries. It is also the reason why it is one of the major components of any printed circuit board.
It is important to note, however, that copper can’t be a conductor on its own. If you want to see its conductivity capabilities, you need to heat it or cool it to a specific temperature. That is how PCB manufacturers ensure that the copper they implemented carries a charge.
2、How to Calculate Copper Weight
If you want to calculate copper weight, you need to have all the necessary information. Start with the form of the copper, which can be a tube, sheet, bar, or any other type if the manufacturer gets creative.
The next thing you need is to consider the copper grade. Here it is essential to check out whether you are using pure copper, or an alloy combined with other materials, such as nickel. Depending on that, you can determine the grade precisely. In most cases, PCB manufacturers use the copper that has a C110 class.
Flat bars and sheets are the most common forms of copper used in printed circuit board manufacturing. However, it is not that unusual that the designer melts down other copper shapes to use them for plating.
When it comes to PCB copper thickness, you should know that it is calculated in ounces. The measurement represents the thickness of a copper ounce when you roll it out on a single square foot. If you notice the information specifying that you are dealing with a one-ounce copper, its thickness is 1.37 mils.
Even if it sounds confusing, the good news is that you can leave everything to the pros. The only thing you should know is how to pick the right thickness for your desired application, and your preferred manufacturer will turn your desires into reality.
3、1 Oz Copper Thickness – the Most Common Weight Used for PCBs
Although it may seem a bit unusual, the thickness of the copper used in PCBs is measured in ounces. Now that we learned the details, we will focus on assessing the different weights used in printed circuit boards.
If you are not a PCB expert, you might want to know which size clients most frequently order from the manufacturers. The statistics will tell you that it is 1 Oz copper that is usually a component of a printed circuit board.
The majority of the companies consider this to be the standard PCB copper thickness. Unless the buyer states, otherwise, they will use this thickness, and there is a good reason for that. A 1 Oz copper can carry more than enough current for most applications. As such, they are very versatile, and you can use them in both rigid and flexible printed circuit boards.
The experts consider 1 Oz copper thickness to be the optimal deal in terms of price, too. If you aren’t making a product that requires an excessive amount of current, the chances are this size can do the job and meet your expectations. You will get a reliable and durable component that can secure a consistent performance of your board.
At the same time, you won't overspend on thick copper without any real need to do so. It is not only about the added cost of the more massive copper, but also about the time that it takes to complete the order. The manufacturers might need a bit of time as it is a bit more challenging to apply heavier copper.
If you do need thickness bigger than one ounce, you should always choose a reliable company with experienced staff. They will ensure to provide a fantastic product that will be in line with all your requests.
4、What Are Other Copper Weights Available?
Apart from the standard PCB copper thickness, you also have other different weights available. These include:
- 0.5 Oz copper – its width is estimated at a bit less than 0.7 mils. It can be an excellent choice for small products and applications that do not require high conductivity. However, since those are rare, this size is also an exceptional choice among the customers. Its thinness makes it the riskiest for overheating when compared to other weights.
- 2 Oz copper – the thickness is around 2.75 miles in this case. It is a rather generous copper weight, which is why some are wondering whether it is necessary. The truth is that it depends on your application. You can find many products where this is the minimum needed thickness for everything to work flawlessly.
- 3 and 4 Oz copper – if you want to make a bulletproof PCB that will have the highest amount of productivity possible, large weights can be the right choice for you. They are incredibly reliable, but the question that you want to consider is whether it is a necessary investment.
While designing your printed circuit board, you need to consider the desired thickness. The thing to pay special attention to is the space between copper features. This space will vary depending on the thickness you select, but it is essential to leave a gap that will be large enough for everything to work effortlessly.
5、How to Choose Copper Thickness and Order Online
Have you already decided on the desired PCB copper thickness? If the answer to that question is yes, the only remaining thing to do is to place an order.
The easiest way to do that is online because you can stay in the comfort of your home and complete the process in minutes. But how to choose a reliable manufacturer?
You want a company that gathers experienced and knowledgeable staff that can handle an order of any complexity. But you also need a manufacturer that can deliver your PCBs quickly regardless of the order size. The company that fits that description is undoubtedly WellPCB.
WellPCB has been in the industry for years, and they have had numerous satisfied clients over that time. Let’s take a look at their advantages:
- A top-class facility - your PCBs will be manufactured in an environment that complies to all the latest manufacturing standards.
- Professional team – the engineers working in the company have years of experience in the industry.
- Simple ordering process – there is no minimum quantity when ordering, and the entire process is effortless. The website also enables you to provide detailed specifications about the desired PCBs.
- Automated quoting system – after choosing the specifics of your order, the system will automatically offer a price. And you will be delighted with the affordability of the deal!
- Generous support – in case you have any dilemma or question, you can contact an agent, and they will respond to you quickly.
Make sure to visit WellPCB’s website as there is a chance you may encounter a special offer or a discount.
6、How to Order from WellPCB
If you want to know more about the process, here are the steps that you should take.
1. Head to the WellPCB’s website and register for a free account. The process only takes a minute, and the only thing you need is a valid e-mail address.
2. Choose the desired type of PCB. You can pick between the standard board, flexible, or a flex-rigid board.
3. Specify the quantity of PCBs you need, as well as the desired size per unit. You can also choose the number of layers, as well as open an expanded menu for detailed specification.
4. Among the detailed specifications, you will find the selection of available finished copper thickness. The company offers 1 Oz, 2 Oz, 3 Oz, and 4 Oz thickness, so go ahead and choose the desired one. Based on your choice, the automatic quoting system will provide the price.
5. Once you are happy with all the details, head to the checkout, and finalize your order.
Your printed circuit boards may arrive in a couple of days, although the delivery might take a bit more depending on the order complexity and the selected delivery method. Even the most complicated orders should arrive within two weeks.
7、The Bottom Line
Copper is an excellent conductor, and it plays an essential role in constructing printed circuit boards. You have several choices of the PCB copper thickness to choose from, and it is in your interest to pick the one that suits your application the most.
That way, you will secure optimal durability of your board, and make sure that it is an excellent deal for the money. If you want your PCBs to be manufactured professionally and efficiently, WellPCB is the company you should choose. Their ordering process is effortless, and you can place an online order in a matter of minutes!