In electronic circuits, the unidirectional flow of electric current perspective is very significant. Also, the electronic component responsible for such a role is a normal diode. There’re thousands of diodes capable of delivering the ‘One-Way’ Diode result. But in this presentation, we’ll delve into the basics of 1n4148 diode equivalent and their use in electronics.
Therefore, read our article for a deeper understanding.
What is 1n4148 diode？
Figure 1: Light-emitting diodes
The 1n4148 signal diode is a famous silicon diode. Essentially, it has similar properties to any other semiconductor diode. It ensures that the current in an electric circuit moves from the anode to the cathode.
Note, the defining characteristic of this common diode type is the ability to withstand peaks of 2A. Also, since the electric current in this type of diode moves in one way, it’s typically a one-way electric valve.
1N4148 Pin Configuration
Figure 2: Battery Lead Illustrating the Concept of Anode and Cathode
Take a look at the role of each of the diode terminals.
|Pin Number||Pin Name||Pin Role|
|1||Anode||It is the pin via which the current enters the diode.|
|2||Cathode||Electric current will leave the diode via the cathode pin.|
1N4148 Diode Characteristics
Figure 3:Mainboard closeup view with electronic details and components
- It’s a silicon epitaxial fast switching diode type with a peak repetitive reverse voltage of 100V.
- Also, it features an RMS reverse voltage of 75V.
- It features a peak forward surge current of 2A and a continuous forward current of 300 milliamps.
- You’ll typically find the diode in DO-35 Packages and SMD Packages.
- Its weight is approximately 0.13 grams and has a high electrical conductivity.
- Also, the diode’s junction capacitance is four pF.
- At 1.0A DC, the diode’s maximum forward voltage drop will be around 1V.
- It features a storage/operating temperature range of between -65…+150 °C.
- The diode’s max average forward output current is about 0.15 Amps, and Its maximum average rectified current is approximately 15A or 150mA.
- Also, the diode features a power dissipation of 5W.
- Lastly, it features an 8ns reverse recovery time.
1N4148 Diodes Equivalent
Figure 4: Different Types of Diodes
Other diodes with a similar function include the following:
Applications of a 1N4148 diode
Figure 5: Closeup view of electronic computer mainboard
Here are the critical applications of this crystal diode:
- The diode is essential in fixing the reverse polarity issue.
- It’s vital to protect power electronic switches set at a significantly high frequency.
- In addition, useful in full wave and half wave rectifications.
- It can be useful in diode protection applications.
- Lastly, when you use it as a power diode, it is essential as a current flow regulator.
Can I replace a 1N4148 diode with a 1N4007?
Figure 6: Different Electronic Components Including Diodes
Note, you can only replace a 1N4148 diode with a 1N4007 on special conditions.
Therefore, for successful replacement, ensure that you set the current below 100mA. Also, make sure you keep the reverse voltage below 100V. If you fulfill the two conditions, you can be sure your 1N4007 will be as effective as when using a 1N4148 diode.
How to run a 1N4148 diode safely?
First, ensure that you never make a wrong connection.
Additionally, ensure you never exceed the current and voltage that we’ve highlighted in the specs. Lastly, you also need to operate and store the diode in the temperature range provided.
As you have seen, we have discussed the critical details of the 1N4148 diode. If you have questions, consider reaching out to us for further clarification.