About the TDCS circuit, Over recent years, technological advancements have contributed to the efficient diagnosing of diseases and their treatment. A particular example is the Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation device that works when drugs are expensive unresponsive to treatments.
TDCS on the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex
Today we will discuss how you can easily make a TDCS device. But, do note that the procedure will require extra caution because failure to follow instructions is fatal.
What is TDCS?
TDCS is the initials of a medical tool standing for Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation. It makes DC (Direct Current) run through the skull to stimulate the brain.
Doctors all over consider it a safe procedure because it is non-invasive and therefore recommendable. Further, the army and US air force have used the device. It has since improved their decision-making reflexes and skills.
Structure of TDCS
- For starters, TDCS devices only require batteries as the power supply source.
- It also controls the current running the brain using a current controlling mechanism.
- It can have more than two electrodes, but a basic TDCS has no less than two electrodes (negative and positive).
- The electrode’s material is soft and has an electrically conductive solution soaked in it. Often, it is a sodium solution, but you can also mix table salt in water during DIYs. The skin material ensures a good conductivity between the skin and electrode and averts skin irrigation.
- The size and placement of electrodes regulate neural activities.
The pros and cons of TDCS circuits
Advantages of TDCS circuit
- First, you can improve your skills in the following areas; gaming, decision making, and math skills.
- Then, it improves your sleep quality.
- Lastly, the circuit has the potential to cure many diseases like chronic pain, depression, stroke, and Parkinson‘s.
For higher effectiveness on the skills mentioned above, position the electrode at different head parts. The reason is that improper electrode placement negatively impacts the brain and won’t give optimum results. Therefore, you should do some proper research on the placement position and size of the electrode.
Disadvantages of TDCS circuit
- They hallucinated for a few minutes.
- Additionally, few of the participants had a headache.
- They also had skin itchiness around the area of electrode placement.
Circuit diagram of TDCS circuit
First of all, you’ll run the circuit on batteries only since you won’t need the AC mains for this project. The batteries help in maintaining a current source for better current control.
Secondly, you’ll have three current switches to help regulate the output current. You can achieve different current flows via the head by employing various treatments. For example;
- S1 to S3 = 4mA,
- S2 and S1 ON = output 3mA,
- S1 ON = output 2mA, and
- All OFFs = output 1mA.
Furthermore, you can use the diagram below in understanding an electrode’s construction.
Diagram of an electrode
First, soak the sponge in water and table salt or sodium solution. Then, place the spongy part on the skin. Metal electrodes often burn the skin at 1mA and are thus not recommended.
Also, a small power surge is better for a huge current flow to the head.
To conclude, despite TDCS’s potential to eliminate many diseases, you should always handle it with care. If you are knowledgeable about TDCS devices, that’s better. If not, consult a doctor or do proper research before using it.
Similarly, you can also contact us for more guidance. We’ll be happy to help.