A motor is an electronic device capable of converting electrical to mechanical energy. There are several kinds of motors in the market. These include the DC motor, stepper motor, brushless motor, and servo motor. This article will discuss the servo motor, particularly the MG996R servo motor. A servo motor is a rotary actuator that produces torque and velocity depending on current.
However, our focus will be on choosing the right motor and how to use it in your projects.
The MG996R is a three-wired metal gear rotor. Each wire on the device has a specific purpose. The table below shows the description of each wire.
|Wire no.||Wire color||Description|
|1||Brown||The brown wire is the ground wire in this system. It works by earthing the system.|
|2||Red||This wire supplies the motor with power. It usually provides the ability of between 4.8v to 7.2v|
|3||Orange||This wire transmits the PWM signal that is essential in propelling the motor.|
(a servo motor vector illustration image)
What is the MG996R Servo Motor?
An MG996R is a metal gear digital servo motor. The servo has a high-stall torque of 11kg/cm contained in just a small package. You usually find this motor in many appliances because it is an improved form of the MG995. The servo motor is more accurate and efficient because of the upgraded features. These features include a new design and shock-proofing system for the PCB and IC.
The gear train and motor drives for this device have been enhanced to better the centering and the dead bandwidth. This component comes as a package with an ‘S’ type 3 pin female header connector and a 30cm wire. The female header connector can link to most receivers.
A servo motor is an essential tool to use in your projects. It can spin to approximately 120⁰ that is, and it can go 60⁰ in each direction. Moreover, to control the servos, you need to use a library, hardware, or servo code.
Lastly, it is really easy to set up this device since it has a selection of arms and hardware.
(a PCB with electronic components.)
MG996R Servo Motor Features
- First, the motor comes in a package consisting of screws and gear horns.
- Secondly, servo MG996R is light in weight since it only weighs 55g.
- Thirdly, the device does a rotation of 0⁰ up to 180⁰.
- Also, the motor comes in a metal gear type.
- The servo also has a double ball bearing construction that is shockproof and reliable.
- Additionally, the operating speed of the motor is 0.17 s/60⁰
- Also, this device is quite a small one since its dimensions are 40.7*19.7*42.9mm.
- Then, this device has an ordinary operating voltage of +5v.
- This motor has a 9.4kg/cm small torque which is normal at 4.8v. However, this stall torque can reach its maximum of 11kg/cm at 6V.
- Similarly, this device operates under a stall current of 2.5A. However, during a running current, the device uses 500mA- 900mA of motor current.
- Lastly, the motor works under a temperature range of 0⁰ to 55⁰.
(a small electric motor.)
Alternative Servo Motor
Just like every electronic device, the servo motor has alternatives. The devices you can use in place of the MG996R include VTS-08A, MG996R high torque gear, and MG90S metal gear.
How to Choose and Use a Servo Motor？
Guide to making the right servo choice.
From the standard servo to the MG996R servo, each motor has its specificity and applications. For the proper functioning of the servo motor, the higher the power supply, the higher the torque value. However, the standard voltage is usually at 5v.
Moreover, all most servo motors are set up to 180⁰. This setting is because of the arrangement of the gears in the system. The process is important because you need to ensure that your project can support the half-duty cycle. However, if this is not the case, you are advised to get a 0⁰ to 360⁰ motor. Consequently, you can adjust the motor to give a full cycle.
(a servo motor)
Nonetheless, you should know that gears in the motor will eventually tear and wear out. In a case where your motor will frequently be running, normal plastic gears will be preferred to avoid wearing out.
Also, there are many choices to make regarding the torque value. For instance, the 2.5kg/cm torque value in MG996R signifies that your motor carries a weight of 2.5kg. It is possible when the motor is hanging from a 1cm distance.
Connecting and using the servo motor
After selecting the right motor servo, you should see 3 wires coming from the motor. The motor will rotate if you power it with +5 volts. The voltage goes to the red and brown cables. These two cables will then transmit the PWM signals to the orange wire.
A microcontroller like an Arduino or a microprocessor like a Raspberry Pi should help you generate the PWM signal. Consequently, you need these items to make the motor work.
In addition, with a 50Hz PWM frequency signal, the PWM time should be 20ms. With this period, the on-time should vary between 1ms to 2ms. Then, your motor reading will be at 0⁰ when the on-time period is at 1ms. However, the motor will rotate to 180⁰ when the on-time period reaches 2ms. Controlling the direction of the motor from 0⁰ to 180⁰ happens when the on-time varies from 1ms reading to 2ms.
(an Arduino-like microcontroller)
- First, the devices carry less weight; therefore, you can use them in multi DOF robots like humanoid robots.
- Secondly, you use this servo object in robots where you do not require feedback for position control.
- Also, you can use this device in the steering system of an RC digital servo.
- Lastly, robotic engineers can use this servo as actuators in many of their projects.
In conclusion, Mg996r are suitable motor devices and can be helpful in a wide array of applications. They’re very easy to use and understand.
We hope you learned how the mg996r servo motor works as well as its uses in your daily life! If you have any further questions, please let us know. We would love to help.